[PD-dev] loading abstractions into objcts...?

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Sat Sep 28 16:13:07 CEST 2002

Hi Krzysztof et all,

> The code duplication itself, which is minimal, is not a problem --
> the hard part is how to keep up with future changes of the Pd's
> internal code.  The API is the way to go, if there is any...

Exactly... an API to clarify and support this kind of thing for externals
would be great.

> But the worst of all solutions would be to make an abstraction
> embedder class through modifying Pd's internal code, just for the
> sake of the current project needs.

Point well taken.

>  > As an aside, is it really true that nobody has created an
> sprintf external
>  > for PD yet?  Now there's a project for this weekend...
>
> it is in the cyclone (please test and report:)

Shall do.  Thanks for the pointer.

> (since sooner or later a poly~-compatible external will be
> included in the cyclone library, or whatever name will it be
> called then, so if you intend to work on this, let us be in
> touch...)

I'd certainly like to have a poly~ style object (and why not make it
compatible?).  My immediate needs may be served by
rabin/clone/my-quick-and-dirty-hack but it would be good to develop a fully
functional object.  Thanks to you and Olaf for producing that code, btw.

How to proceed?

Daniel