[PD-dev] Pdplay?

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 2 07:28:53 CEST 2002

This is actually where I'm hoping to take GrIPD. It can be done manually
now. Just use the PD '-nogui' command line (don't forget to put a netreceive
object in your patch, something I need to look into) and use a loadbang
connected to an 'open_locked <filepath>' message to the gripd object (the
_locked will disable any GrIPD gui editing). Keep in mind that the filepath
for 'open' and 'open_locked' are relative to the PD executable file. To
close when the GrIPD gui closes, just use the outlet of the gripd object
with the ';pd quit' message. You can then just bundle everything together
(your patches, PD, and GrIPD) into a single distribution and have it launch
with some script. The only problem might be other command line args such as
selecting the audio and MIDI devices, etc. I've been thinking of creating
some kind of distribution compiler that would do all this automagically. I'm
also considering making  some 'setup' app for PD (probably with wxPython)
that the end user (the user getting your distro) would run once to generate
the command line args. I think this would be a nice thing for people wanting
to create seemingly stand alone apps with PD or for
installation/demo/educational types of situations. There's also the
possibility of working up a stripped down version of PD without any editing
features at all, to further prevent editing of PD patches by expeditious
users, but I personally don't think this is such a good idea.

Joe
jsarlo at ucsd.edu