[PD-dev] Portaudio with Jack on Linux

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Oct 14 16:23:54 CEST 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just discovered, that the Portaudio team is working on a Jack
> backend for its library. A preliminary version seems to be in the
> devel branch on portaudio-CVS.
>
> As Pd already uses PA for its OS-X and ASIO support, it seems only
> natural to me, if Pd could use PA for Jack on Linux as well. This
> would remove the need to have different Jack patches around.
>
> So, did anyone here try Pd with Portaudio-Jack already?

We have been discussing this at the ICMC with Miller, and he said
that this would be a great solution (the new portaudio supports almost
everything that exists).

There are changes to PD necessary though, because there are changes in the
portaudio API.

I think it is better to wait until Portaudio V19 is officially released.

Guenter