[PD-dev] PD canvas interaction - flext GUI

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Wed Oct 16 19:36:26 CEST 2002

Hi Günther,

> We had several discussions already about redesigning the pd<->GUI
> comunication, I think that this in general is starting to be a bottleneck.
>
> In my opinion more of the  GUI stuff should be done on the GUI side,
> and not from within pd,... but I might be completely off topic with this ?

i think you're absolutely right with that and the flext_gui programming
layer is an attempt to move GUI programming away from the PD kernel.
However, i'm not undertaking attempts to make a new patcher system.
The main problem in my view is the difficulty of embedding non-TK graphical
objects into patchers. Attempts to do so (and i've done some experiments,
following the way framestein does it) are merely bad hacks and hardly as
smooth as desired.
As i assume that only a very small fraction of users runs the kernel on
another machine as the GUI i don't see a real necessity for the socket based
client-server design, but more for a clean and fast portable multithreaded
graphical system derived from the native OS graphical interface.

best greetings,
Thomas