xsample 0.2.4 vs. flext 0.3.3 (was Re: [PD-dev] CVS pd, fiiwu~)

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 21 11:49:28 CEST 2002

Hi,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Thomas Grill wrote:
> > flext is changing a lot these days and keeping all those packages
> > up to date is often not that easy.....
>
> That is a problem I have to deal with currently, making the build system
> for the externals CVS. Franks externals based on flext, which are in the
> CVS, add a considerable amount of logistic to the build system, because
> I would have to check for correct versions of flext, maybe c++ ??, etc.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to distribute the flext based externals
> together with flext, when they are so tightly bound together ?

I don't think, that this would make sense: flext is a kind of library,
that flext externals use, like (f)iiwu~ uses libiiwusynth and other
externals use other libraries.

Also it means, that I would have to retract my externals from CVS, as
they all use flext :(

But maybe flext could go into CVS as well?

I didn't have time to check out your build system yet, but of course,
those are things, that make a general configuration and compilation
difficult. If someone introduces an external, that uses another
library, the build system must be updated, doesn't it? Add to that the
whole bunch of platforms and compilers (GCC, BCC, MS, CW,...), that
shall be supported, and we have a fine mess.

ciao