xsample 0.2.4 vs. flext 0.3.3 (was Re: [PD-dev] CVS pd, fiiwu~)

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Mon Oct 21 12:00:47 CEST 2002

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Thomas Grill wrote:
> > flext is changing a lot these days and keeping all those packages up to
date
> > is often not that easy.....
>
> That is a problem I have to deal with currently, making the build system
> for the externals CVS. Franks externals based on flext, which are in the
> CVS, add a considerable amount of logistic to the build system, because
> I would have to check for correct versions of flext, maybe c++ ??, etc.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to distribute the flext based externals
> together with flext, when they are so tightly bound together ?

Of course this shouldn't be the case, and i think it looks worse than it is.
It's also the case that there are not too many flext based externals yet
(but i will add a considerable number shortly), so i'm still thinking about
changing and adding things to flext - and due to the lack of in-depth
documentation (mea culpa...) flext is only max'd out with my own stuff... i
don't think that Frank's externals really depend on the exact version of
flext.
And although i totally redesigned flext for the upcoming version the API is
supposed to remain stable.
The real problem is the the incomplete c++ implementation of some compilers
and the incompatibility of the gcc binary files. The latter seems to have
stabilized with version 3.2 but only a minority of distributions has it
included.

I don't want to bind flext based externals to flext itself. I have no time
to manage the distribution of it all.
Of course i'm considering moving my stuff to the pd cvs server but i'm still
thinking of how that can be done as i have my own cvs server and want to run
them in parallel.

I'm open for any opininions and suggestions on the issues.

best greetings,
Thomas