[PD-dev] CVS pd, fiiwu~

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 21 12:16:22 CEST 2002

Hi Larry,
Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:

> Hi everyone. I was the one that initially posted iiwu, which Frank
> updated, so I should probably pipe in here to see if anyone needs
> any help or clarification.

First I want to say, I'm sorry, that I didn't mail you about my iiwu
branch, yet. But I didn't thought, that fiiwu would get so much
attention so soon. I didn't even announce it on pd-announce, yet. I
wrote fiiwu~, because I couldn't get the old iiwu to run anymore,
probably because of some libc upgrades, that I undertook.

As I'm not that skillful in pure C-programming, I tried to rewrite in
it C++ with flext, just to have an iiwusynth running here again, which
worked out just fine in the end and even brought some, now fixed, bugs
in flext to the light of day.

> I haven't had time (as seems to be the norm) to do anything with the
> original version, and since Frank has updated this to use flext, does
> everybody agree that I should mark the original version as obsolete on my
> personal web page, and the pd database?

I don't think, that it would be hard to update the old iiwu to
libiiwusynth-0.2.2. It *should* only require a change in the
iiwu_settings struct, that should be obvious from looking at the
fiiwu-code. But as said above, I couldn't, and I still can't, get
C-iiwu to work here. I'm absolutely puzzled, why this is so...

So, I could maintain flext-iiwu, but I'm not sure, what would be
gained by this. It's true, that flext imposes an added burden on
everyone, who wants to compile a flext-external. My stance on this is
obvious: I write all my externals in flext now, because of the IMO
much cleaner code (compare the flext-pan~ with the
External-HOWTO-pan~...)

OTOH, fiiwu~ has some more functions from the iiwusynth-API
implemented, for example pitch bend, and it accepts lists without the
prepended "note", something I find very nice.

But nothing of this is (or *shouldn't be*) impossible with C-iiwu.

> Ironically, I myself can't yet compile flext stuff due to the Red Hat
> compiler confusion I think. As an aside, can anybody say if the latest
> redhat 7.x has a compiler that works ok with this? (I don't feel like
> inviting the uncertainties that would come with an 8.x upgrade)

RH 8.x comes with g++-3.2, which would be the best compiler for flext,
I think. But 7.x should have g++-3.0, which is, what I was
using successfully a lot on flext until three weeks ago.

ciao