CVS Access Lists WAS Re: [PD-dev] sourceforge tarball problem

_-¯-_ jdl at xdv.org
Wed Nov 6 21:13:28 CET 2002

 |On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, guenter geiger wrote:
 |>
 |> Also, it would be really great if those who are working on OSX, or
 |> those who encounter problems with compiling/using the externals could
 |> participate actively, by either becoming a developer, or by asking
 |> at the list to add there changes.
 |>

 |I will be working on Linux-PowerPC and OS X so I would love to contribute
 |fixes for things.  My hesitation comes from not wanting to step on
 |people's toes or make changes to someone's externals without them approving.

these considerations are polite but have to be put aside when you want
to actually change something (like a file). ;)

some changes (like adding ifdefs ) can be done i think
without the original authors approval?

if you re going to completey change what a given function does, maybe
this should be negotiated.

if things break, you can resurrect earlier versions, another
handy feature of versioning systems..

it is about _making changes_ ..

 |So this led me to look into access control for CVS.  I think it could be
 |helpful, especially during this transistion period, to set up access lists
 |on various parts of pure-data.sf.net.  That way, for example, MSP could
 |use the SF CVS before he is prepared to have multiple developers working
 |on that code.  Also, it might make some developers more willing to put
 |their code up on CVS if they know that they don't lose control of it when
 |they do so.

whats this fear of losing control? why is everyone publishing under gpl
or something similar then?

the cvs is not the only place to store things, people also have private
harddisks etc. if i m not happy with the way something works, clone it,
rename it, hide it or re-publish it, whatever .. the whole point of open
source licensing, again?

bst, x_j

--
38244.05555