CVS Access Lists WAS Re: [PD-dev] sourceforge tarball problem

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Nov 7 01:07:39 CET 2002

good morning,

my two cents, see below...

On 6 November 2002 at 21:13:28, _-¯-_ wrote:
 >  |On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, guenter geiger wrote:
 >  |>
 >  |> Also, it would be really great if those who are working on OSX, or
 >  |> those who encounter problems with compiling/using the externals could
 >  |> participate actively, by either becoming a developer, or by asking
 >  |> at the list to add there changes.
 >  |>
 >  |I will be working on Linux-PowerPC and OS X so I would love to contribute
 >  |fixes for things.  My hesitation comes from not wanting to step on
 >  |people's toes or make changes to someone's externals without them approving.
 >
 > these considerations are polite but have to be put aside when you want
 > to actually change something (like a file). ;)
 >
 > some changes (like adding ifdefs ) can be done i think
 > without the original authors approval?
 >
 > if you re going to completey change what a given function does, maybe
 > this should be negotiated.

yup, yup, and also yup -- provided the external is being
actively maintained, which assumedly it is, if someone put it
into cvs in the first place...

i haven't yet heard of any "malicious" (undeclared) changes
to anyone's code in the cvs tree -- (the only thing that comes
close is my own oops in creating a badly-named external, and the
resultant dead directory); in short, i think we can rely on
convention and consideration on the part of external developers
that no one will actually go and alter someone else's code
without at least first asking...

marmosets,
	Bryan