[PD-dev] pd-0.36-test2 -> dead machine (wow!)

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Nov 7 09:31:28 CET 2002

Hello, I have never experienced this before. But running
the pd-0.36-test2 binary makes a RedHat 7.3 machine running
alsa emulation crash so hard that it can not be rescued by
either the keyboard, mouse or network. I'm not running as root, and
the binary is not suid.

The only thing I can do is to ping it from another machine and it answers.

Running pd with the -alsa flag makes it start up as it should.

There is no trace in /var/log/messages

I have tried this with two different machines (different mainboards and
soundcards), and the same happens from both. They are both:
"Linux version 2.4.18-17.7.x (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-112)) #1 Tue Oct 8 13:33:14 EDT 2002"

Both are running alsa 0.9.0rc5