[PD-dev] Re: pd-0.36-test2 -> dead machine (wow!)

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Nov 8 15:36:34 CET 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> Hello, I have never experienced this before. But running
> the pd-0.36-test2 binary makes a RedHat 7.3 machine running
> alsa emulation crash so hard that it can not be rescued by
> either the keyboard, mouse or network. I'm not running as root, and
> the binary is not suid.
>
> The only thing I can do is to ping it from another machine and it answers.
>
> Running pd with the -alsa flag makes it start up as it should.
>
> There is no trace in /var/log/messages
>
> I have tried this with two different machines (different mainboards and
> soundcards), and the same happens from both. They are both:
> "Linux version 2.4.18-17.7.x (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-112)) #1 Tue Oct 8 13:33:14 EDT 2002"
>
> Both are running alsa 0.9.0rc5

I sort of found the problem. Its most probably a bug in the rc4 or rc5
release of the snd-pcm-oss alsa module.

When I try to run pd without the -alsa flag when the snd-pcm-oss module is
not loaded, the machine does not freeze. When I try to run pd without the
-alsa flag, _now running alsa 0.9.0rc3_, the machine doesnt freeze either.
(Note, as a normal user!)

I have also tried it on a dell laptop running 2.4.7-something kernel, and
the same problem. (still as a normal user)

Anything else anyone wants me to try? (0.9.0rc4/cvs driver or something?)