[PD-dev] The ins and outs of ins and outs...

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 00:12:00 CET 2002

Hi again...

Well, you all read the latest CVS corrects my slow
mouse input woes (bravo!).  Now perhaps some kind soul
could elucidate the method of specifying correct audio
device numbers at startup. The current OS X info in
the online manual (sec. 3.4) is somewhat outdated.
Btw, I'd be happy to contribute documentation to help
ease other novice OSX users getting started (once I'm
rolling).

I can only make noise with built-in audio!

pd -listdev produces the following... start ->

Number of devices = 4
---------------------------------------------- #1
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 2, Max Outputs = 0
Sample Rates = 44100.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #2
DefaultInput
Name         = Emagic EMI 2|6
Max Inputs   = 2, Max Outputs = 0
Sample Rates = 44100.00, 48000.00, 96000.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #3
Name         = Built-in audio controller
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 2
Sample Rates = 44100.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
---------------------------------------------- #4
DefaultOutput
Name         = Emagic EMI 2|6
Max Inputs   = 0, Max Outputs = 2
Sample Rates = 44100.00, 48000.00, 96000.00,
Native Sample Formats = paFloat32,
[MIDISportLike] count of items in device list is 1
[MIDISportLike] considering service whose index is 0
[MIDISportLike] considering service whose index is 1
[MIDISportLike] considering service whose index is 2
[MIDISportLike] considering service whose index is 3
[MIDISportLike] InterfaceStarter::Notify
[MIDISportLike] count of items in device list is 1
[MIDISportLike] a MIDI device under consideration has
offline 1
[MIDISportLike] a MIDI device under consideration has
product ID 4098
[MIDISportLike] the MIDI device under consideration
matched the product ID for which we were searching
[MIDISportLike] we found a MIDI device in the
configuration, so we will simply use it
[MIDISportLike] searching for dead sport pair with
index 1
[MIDISportLike] found no extant suitable pair and
creating one 1
[MIDISportLike] searching for dead sport pair with
index 0
[MIDISportLike] found no extant suitable pair and
creating one 0
[MIDISportLike] considering service whose index is 4
0: CoreMIDI, Port B (input)
1: CoreMIDI, Port B (input)
2: CoreMIDI, Port B (output)
3: CoreMIDI, Port B (output)
could not open midi output device number 1: Invalid
device ID.
using default input device number: 1
using default output device number: 3
nchan 2, flags 3, bufs 8, framesperbuf 256
PortAudio: input and output must use same CoreAudio
device!
Error number -9997 occured opening portaudio stream
Error message: Invalid device ID.
Bus error

<- end

While pd -audioindev 2 -audiooutdev 4 produces...
start ->

[...]

And no sound from my Emagic emi 2|6 audio interface
(which works well with all other apps).

Any thoughts?

thanks,

=====