[PD-dev] OS X: The ins and outs of ins and outs, mousey mouse control and

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 04:35:42 CET 2002

Ok,

Using the latest Tcl/Tk
AND latest Pd cvs
AND commenting out all reference to 'cabs' in m_pd.h
AND copying pa_mac_core.c from the latest portaudio
AND adding -framework AudioUnit -framework
AudioToolbox to the LDFLAGS section of the makefile,
compiling
AND chown root pd then chmod 4755 pd
AND launching with -rt...

I seem to have achieved a decent result!  Doesn't use
all 6 outputs of the emi 2|6 (won't even show it as a
device if setup in CoreAudio as 2 ins 6 outs) but
seems to be running full-duplex.

The latest CVS right off sourceforge with no hacks
except '-rt -noadc -audiooutdev 4' flags, produces
nearly equivalent performance half-duplex.

When using the mouse to sweep the pitch of a single
osc~ as a test, the newer portaudio seems to smooth
out the audio glitches a bit, less "jumpy" or
"arpeggiated" soundng than using standard portaudio
BUT there are still periodic jumps in data input
(kinda like stalls) where the sweep isn't smooth but
things have become usable for me in the period of one
day!

Thanks a ton everyone, hope this helps others,
ryan

p.s. - now I'm on to getting midi working... D'oh! ;-)

=====
-r-