[PD-dev] Gem CVS Bug (wrong alarm ??)

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Nov 18 18:14:31 CET 2002

Hi all !

I'm back online again (though struggling with life ;-))

guenter geiger wrote:

>>High level/low level
>>I think what is really desirable is to have low-level and high level
>>functionality together... somewhat like GL and GLU.   I don't think you can
>>do without the low-level if you want flexibility, but straightforward
>>support for things like parameterized models would be great...
>

> Yes, I think there should be support for both too, and what I heard is
> that Johannes is already experimenting with a low level API.

well yes, i started making Gem a (more or less) complete openGL-wrapper
(this gives about 400 new objects,... ah it's much code to do and
although i have automatized a lot of it, i still have to go through
everything again (my scripts used to be not that good...))

>>The biggest issues I've found with GEM are in data management and render
>>flow control which both get quite awkward...  these are partly problems that
>>also occur in PD... generalized matrix formulations of things would be
>>really good.  (hello, Gridflow!)
>>
>>Is a GEM redesign in the works?  I'd be interested to hear more about this
>>and contribute what I can...
>

> Yes, I really think so. What Johannes told me is that he is trying to
> redesign the render flow control, using pd messages instead of the
> hardwire DAG list. I think that input on these issues is very important
> in the current stage, when things can still be changed.
>
> Johannes, do you have something of that in CVS already ?

yes, the CVS-version does the render-chain via the pd-message system.
it seems to work fine
(erich has reported a problem there, but i haven't found out, whether
the problem was really related to the render-chain or something different)

i see daniel's suggestion of making Gem a second thread, but this would
have been easier with the hardwired DAG

mfg.dsa.r
IOhannes