[PD-dev] PD externals Debian packaging

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Nov 19 13:28:22 CET 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> This is awesome, thanks so much.  I can't wait until I can "apt-get
> install pure-data" and be ready to go.

Yes, it won't be to long I hope.

> But I have one question: why break it up
> into more than one debian package?  We have one CVS repository, and when
> you are using the objects in the various libraries, its all seemless.  So
> it seems to make sense that there be one Debian package.  The only reason
> I can think of to split it up is if there are conflicts between two
> libraries, therefore forcing the user to choose one or the other.
>
> .hc

There is no real reason for breaking them up. Currently it just reflects
how the externals are built.
e.g. flext is a library for developing externals, I would like to keep
that separated.
zexy is a library too (no single externals), and OSX is build separately
too. Anything else is build from a common makefile in build/linux, (and
hopefully win/darwin too).

It  is  still time to change the nameing, like
pd-flext
pd-externals (with zexy and OSC)

... finally its a matter of taste, and installing pd will recommend all
the other packages too.

Guenter