[PD-dev] yet another video processing external...

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Sun Nov 24 13:09:20 CET 2002

> that's great !!

thanks ;)

> that's the first time i get
> an acceptable frame rate in PD
> and, that's funny because i was
> planning to make such a package myself.
>
> by the way, do you plan to add audio support
> one of these days ( this might be my little contribution ).

for live video (v4l) it should work the normal way: if the capture
card or camera supports audio you can use that audio as a pd adc
input. right now the capture is running continuously in another thread
and a frame is output when a bang is received. so the audio and video
should be synchronized.

for the quicktime playback object, it is a bit different. the reason why is
that the current qt playback object is frame based and externally synced
using bangs, not stream based. so if you have some ideas on how to
synchronize, let me know. one option could be to let it behave like sfread~
and let it output frames synced to the audio stream. but there are a lot more
possibilities of course.

another thing i was thinking about solving this problem in pd with seperate
media files for video and audio, and writing an abstraction to handle sync
for different types of playback. i think this option is better since it is a
lot more flexible..

so to answer you're question i am leaving the problem open for the moment,
but feel free to come up with a nice solution of course ;)