[PD-dev] CVS GUI changes (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 29 21:59:04 CET 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:58:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at sympatico.ca>
To: Adam Lindsay <atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Cc: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
Subject: Re: [PD-dev] CVS GUI changes

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Adam Lindsay wrote:
> >It feels good to see you working on the GUI side.
> Cool. I was a bit nervous, because I know people can be very conservative
> with GUIs.

I agree that the GUI should be worked on. I would have given a hand if I
was actually using PD for most of my work instead of jMax.

One thing I would like is to insert a bit more spacing inside the boxes,
because the text is much too tight within those boxes. Maybe one more
pixel on the left and the right would be enough. I hope this won't disturb
the layout of the patches too much.

Variable-width fonts (as in jMax again) would be good too, but more
difficult to implement.

I would like more of the standard edition keys in the text editor. Maybe
mimicking as much as possible what the TkField class has to offer.

I don't think the shadows are really that nice and I'd trade them for a
beveled border (but then again I'm a jMaxer)

> Not sure. They were already in the devel_0_35 branch when I started with CVS.
> However, since I was just in there with MACOSX ifdefs, I could put a
> GUISHADOW ifdef in the same places, and make it a compile-time option.
> On the whole, I've been trying to *reduce* the number of #ifdefs and
> similar branches in the code, but I can see the shadows as being an issue
> for others. Me, I think it really helps the visual clarity.

Compile-time options are usually a bad idea, especially if PD binaries are
to be bundled with linux distros. Is there something wrong with using a
global variable instead?