[PD-dev] clocks & threads

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Thu Dec 5 13:07:08 CET 2002

> Concerning thread-safe PD... what functions do we want to be
> thread-safe?
> For my part, i really only need clock_set, since all other issues are
> handled by flext.

if outlet_thingy would be thread safe, that would be really nice,
but i guess that is a bit too much to ask. :)

i can live with clock_set being thread safe. it would be nice to have a sort
of synchronous communication:

* receive a message
* pass some data to another thread (thread starts processing, main thread
continues)
* when thread is finished, it signals this using clock_set, meaning the next
pd scheder run the data processed is available in the main thread again.

this seems to be all there is needed for simple load balancing tasks using
threads.

tom