[PD-dev] CVS now handles binaries

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Dec 8 03:24:10 CET 2002

I have just purchased a PowerBook, so I will be working on the OS X
side of things a lot in the future.  I definitely have an interest in
being a/the OS X package maintainer, but it will probably be a slow
ramp up since I am currently in grad school and it takes up lots of my
time.

On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 13:31 America/New_York, chris clepper wrote:

> why even bother with a packaging system for the binary?  how about
> this for an install on OSX:

We should use a packaging system because that is the way most people
install software.  As you mentioned, the average Mac user will expect
such things.  I could see doing pd in a .dmg style package with a
README and the pure-data.app which the user copies to their
Applications folder.  This would be pretty easy to deal will, with
everything related to pd going in the pure-data.app folder.

>> We could emulate your debian approach--how does that lay out files for
>> externals (and their associated source, help, and other files)?
>
> why emulate debian at all?  it's not debian it's OSX.  if anything it
> should more closely resemble the win32 version.

The other idea for a OS X package for pd is a fink package
(http://fink.sf.net).  It uses the debian package tools so it should be
an easy port from the debian packages that Günter is working on.  A
fink package could also install a pure-data.app in Applications for the
non-power users.  The fink X11 packages do this, for example, and it
works quite well.

Ideally, I think there would be both package types, the .dmg/.app
package for the standard Mac user, and the fink package for the command
line user.

.hc