[PD-dev] PD clustering, multicast netsend/netreceive

bbogart bbogart at ryerson.ca
Thu Dec 19 19:42:55 CET 2002

Hello all,

Is anyone working on a way of using PD in a clustered environment?
High-load objects could operate over a cluster. Ideally it would be nice
if one could tell any object to run on the cluster, to speed up
pix_processing or render more complex gem scenes.

I'm really thinking here of PD as a possible graphical interface to show
the datapaths in a certain work process which may run on multiple
machines and pass data back and forth. Rather than each object
representing a machine, each object could represent a job on a machine.
Well its an idea anyhow. (I'm thinking of prototyping something using
SPREAD)

Anyone written, or interested in, a multicast netsend/netreceive for
pd?  For those not familiar with multicast this would allow the same
data to be sent to almost any number of machines simultaneously. using
only one multicast IP. (If they have a multicast enabled network)

Anyhow I think thats enough ranting for today.

Thanks
Ben