[PD-dev] [GEM] new postrender crashes OS X

bbogart at ryerson.ca bbogart at ryerson.ca
Sat Dec 21 18:41:14 CET 2002

Hey guys,

As for naming, how about pix_foo_yuv for the yuv versions of the objects..

As for YUV in general I think it would only be used by more advanced users, mostely because the colorspace is imply that much more difficult to get your head around. As such I would say objects should be rgb by default and the yuv choice only comes in when you know you want it.

I think the waysoftVNS deals with colorspace is more as Johannes describes, with very fast conversion between colorspaces (altivec) I think you can specify the color space of a video source by send the source object a message. Perhaps something similar in Gem where the pix_ objects check what kinda of data they are getting and act accordingly, ie printing a message saying that pix_blah only supports YUV, and you must use pix_yuv to convert the rgba stream in order to use this object.

with all the efforts with coloured patchcords, how about changing the color of an object when it gets a datastream it does not support. Some of the other packages (eyesweb) only lets you connect compatible data types, otherwise it simply refuses to connect the objects.

Some ideas from my perspective anyhow.

Ben