[PD-dev] [GEM] more on YUV (was: postrendering crashes)

daniel heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu Dec 26 14:58:15 CET 2002

hi folks,

i've been having a bit of break from the keyboard so apologies if i'm
rehashing here... it looks like the yuv stuff is causing some really good
discussion about GEM development.  excellent!

i might hazard my opinion on some of the issues with yuv:
- in general i suspect it's more costly to convert from one colour space to
another to do a particular operation (say chromakey or lumakey) than it is
to simply use that operation in the other colour space, even if it's a
little awkward.  this is even more the case if you then want to convert
back to the original colour space.  in the most extreme case, doing a pixel
by pixel format conversion in the inner loop of the algorithm is going to
be better than doing an image conversion and then running the algorithm.
- as far as i can see, the only issues of platform/machine dependence with
yuv are in the film codec and texture upload stages.  format conversions
can easily be included in the relevant objects when the underlying software
and hardware do not provide the feature natively.

for these reasons (and for others more capricious), i would argue:
- that all objects should be pix_XXXX objects.
- all pix_ objects should operate on all image types (luminance, rgb, rgba,
yuv), with the exception of the few objects which are truly format
restricted (only those explicitly using the alpha channel i think) which
should print an (accurate!) error message.
- format conversions should only be done with explicit objects (pix_toyuv),
except in image source (e.g. pix_film) and image sink (e.g. pix_texture)
object where they may be done implicitly.
- image sources should allow their format to be chosen through an argument
or a message.  they should announce the format when the image or film is
loaded.  should their default be system dependent to maximise performance,
or system independent to maximise consistency?
- a pix_info object should provide information at its outputs about the
image passing through it: pixel dimensions, format and anything else
relevant

it would be relatively easy to add pix_ base class automatic format
conversion support as a stop-gap.  this can be done with a nasty
out-of-place conversion and reconversion with a performance warning printed
to the console.  this would allow this general behaviour to be acheived in
the short term before implementing each pix_ object for each image format.

hmm i wonder if there are clever ways to use generic programming techniques
to allow the algorithms to be implemented almost independently of the image
format... and to allow new image formats to be added without adding code to
the pix_s?

in general, i don't think that there's a really easy solution to automatic
format negotiation in video data flow trees is there?  i've done a bit of
work with directshow on windows which tries to be very general and succeeds
in being rather comlicated and hard to use...

daniel