[PD-dev] PD-Sourceforge project descriptions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 7 18:27:29 CET 2003

Hi,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:
> Thanks a lot for stepping forward on this. I am really sorry that I
> wasn't around to back you up, X-mas is time without internet (well,
> lets say mailing lists) for me.

No problem. I did have the time then. A happy new year, btw ;)

> I think that this page is a very good idea, although it should be
> generated automatically, otherwise it will be very hard to maintain
> and constantly out of date.
>
> For this to work out, we should agree on a convention for written
> documentation for externals.

Maybe a simple convention for the name of a project descripton would
be sufficient for now. Something like SFDESCRIPTION or such, that
every developer can put in his directories, that should be included as
text for the projects page. I would write a script that runs over the
cvs-tree, finds all SFDESCRIPTION's and builds the html.

Another possibility would be to make the project page editable, see
for example this quick copy'n'paste wiki page:

http://footils.org/cgi-bin/cms/pydiddy/wiki/PureDataExternalRepository

> Something like the reference patches that are already in place.
>
> If we need to move the pure-data.sf.net site for that, this is not
> a problem at all. We can just redirect.
> Of course I think that the best thing would be to combine our efforts
> and integrate this into pure-data.org, or pddb, ...

The sourceforge page should only list the externals/abstraction etc
that are in the CVS, IMO. One could extract the descriptions from
pddb, but currently no info is stored there about which externals are
in the CVS. But this could be added, I think.

Other than that, I think, to have a central, developer editable place
as the canonical source for projects desciptions would be great. pddp
comes closest, atm...

ciao