[PD-dev] [GEM] more on YUV (was: postrendering crashes)

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Jan 8 20:50:41 CET 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, chris clepper wrote:
<snap> .....
> writes only rgb versions.  Or another developer thinks yuv stuff is
> the only way to go and can't be bothered to write rgb versions.  So
> now we have a large difference in which platforms can do what using
> the exact same objects.  This is precisely the thing you have been
> railing against lately right?

No, writing code for YUV colorspace is not something platform specific.
If the scenario you are painting happens, then these algorithms will be
available for YUV colorspace only, but on every platform.
(unless, of course, you write them in ALTIVEC).

Finally, to bring a real world example, I am happy that Mark didn't
write GEM platform specific for SGI's ... we all know why.
Platform specific code is bad and should be minimized.

I think that Daniels thoughts about how to handle all of this are
very interesting ..

Greetings

Guenter