[PD-dev] PD clustering, multicast netsend/netreceive

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 8 18:01:49 CET 2003

This reply is a little late in coming, but hopefully is still relevant.
  I am a graduate student and I will be starting a class this semester
in which I plan on pursuing pd clustering.  But my interest is
multi-channel audio, so my approach is quite different.  But since the
professor, Ken Perlin, is interested in the same areas as you, my
approach might change.

Basically, the way I currently envision doing this is to intercept all
messages sent to the pd core (there is a patch to pd that enables this)
and send them to all pd instances running in the cluster.  This would
create exact copies of the patch on each computer in the cluster.  Then
I would need to create objects which facilitate control and
interoperation of the individual instances of pd.  But from what I
little I know about the video stuff in pd, I don't think this approach
would be very helpful, unless it was for multichannel video.

As for multicast, I haven't heard anything about using it with PD, but
there is a project that was posted on this list a couple months ago
where they were planning on dealing with the jitter in the
netsend/netreceive objects so that their delay would be stable.  I
don't remember the details though.

.hc