[PD-dev] flext license

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Jan 22 12:13:20 CET 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hi,
> smoerk schrieb:
> > The problem with the GPL for libraries is, that you don't have the
> > freedom to use another license than GPL for your externals for example a
> > BSD license.
>
> This is simply not true. According to the GPL-FAQ at fsf.org, if you are
> using libraries licensed under the GPL, you must use a GPL-compatible
> license to use those libraries in your on software. The (modified) BSD
> license is compatible with the GPL.
>
> Compatible here "means you can combine a module which was released under that
> license with a GPL-covered module to make one larger program."

That was my feeling too, but I did not have the time to look this up
really.
I think LPGL is not giving you more freedom, it takes away freedom.
Be clever and protect yourself. If you write free software you want to
make sure that there won't be someone coming along, wrapping some code
around your library and making millions without giving you a cent.

Guenter