[PD-dev] multicast externals

bbogart at ryerson.ca bbogart at ryerson.ca
Wed Jan 22 18:17:22 CET 2003

Hey Guenter,

I think that is a good idea. I have not looked at
the source yet but integrating it would be
complicated (at least beyond my current meager
experience) Maybe I'll write one to figure it out
and then see if I can integrate it into netsend
proper. (may need help though!) here are the
difference (from the user perspective):

multicast traffic is not send to a machine, but a
"group" or room, this is defined as an IP/port pair.
so there needs to be at least those two arguments to
send and receive.

for receive your getting traffic from multiple
hosts, so some facility to sort which host is which
would be nice, I'm thinking a reference number
prepended to each message for each host so you can
use route to have different hosts effect different
things. I think IPM (multicast protocol) has some ID
stuff build in, but probably is the IP of the
packet's source... sounds ugly in terms of routing
but then you know who is sending what... Any ideas
for a solution to that one?

I'll be starting more indepth research thursday,
have to write me a little plain ol C version first!

Ben