[PD-dev] Re: [PD] PD signal graph

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Sat Jan 25 18:05:31 CET 2003

hi Thomas,

Thomas Grill wrote:
 > I'm still not completely sure whether insertion of new signal objects into a
 > patcher is guaranteed to be click-free. Therefore a basic question:

btw, updating dsp chain might matter not only directly due to some
node being inserted or deleted, but also when the output depends
on execution order (remote connections, feedback loops), which is
usually undefined (but in many cases one may expect it to remain
unchanged).

 > Is there a global signal graph in PD or are there many local ones (e.g. one
 > per patcher) and what (e.g. which objects) are the nodes where these
 > interconnect?

the graphs are built for 'root' patchers, which do not
interconnect (other then remotely), and anyway they are all sorted
into a single dsp chain.  This chain is recreated for any editing
operation which might involve dsp objects or signal connections
(also resizing of an array if ``used in dsp'').

Thomas, are you going to make a polyphonic instrument with real
dynamic voice (aka instance) allocation ala Csound, a super-poly~
we all dream of?

Krzysztof