[PD-dev] [GEM] Further CVS changes

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Jan 30 10:17:09 CET 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, chris clepper wrote:
> Left out a paragraph that's now gone to the cut and paste gremlin, so
> i'll paraphrase:
>
> Part of the point about the pix_gain illustration is not that altivec
> or my scalar code kick ass, but that the original pix_gain code could
> actually run faster than my changes on a different platform.  There
> should be a fair amount of testing when these things are changed, for
> compatibility, stability, and performance.  It's not possible for
> each developer to know the ins and outs of tweaking each and every
> platform and compiler, so some collaboration is necessary on the
> shape of the code.

Right. Generally I can say that moving to integer calculation will not do
harm in any case (well at least not in terms of speed).

Write down you investivations about speed in some file on CVS, with
instructions how you tested it. This way others can contribute and
we get a picture of what runs where and how.

> Anyway I really just wanted to open up a discussion about making GEM
> really fly on all platforms. ;)
>
> On a somewhat related note: Is there someone building a Windows
> version of the CVS?  I have a win2k box with pre-CVS GEM and no
> compiler, and would like to check out how the CVS version runs on it.

What about moving the build system to gcc on windows too.
Should be possible, no ?
I am probably going to try this out with pd in the next days.

Guenter