[PD-dev] Re: [PD] Universal Makefile for PD

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 11 05:49:54 CET 2003

On Monday, Feb 10, 2003, at 12:04 America/New_York, Adam Lindsay wrote:

>>> MACOSXLDFLAGS = -bundle -bundle_loader /path/to/pd/bin/pd
>>> -flat_namespace
>>>
>>> (often you will find "-undefined suppress" in the place of "-
>>> bundle_loader", but explicitly telling the linker about Pd's symbols
>>> is
>>> better.)

One other question which will hopefully benefit other budding Darwin
porters like me: if I use the
-bundle_loader /path/to/pd/bin/pd flag instead of -undefined suppress,
will it tie that executable to pd being install in that path?  So if I
install that binary into a PD install that's in
/local/path/to/pd/bin/pd, will that binary still work?

Here is the man page section on this, I read it, but I want to make
sure I understand:

        When creating bundles (MH_BUNDLE outputs) with the static link
editor when two-level namespace  is  in
        effect  (now  the default) and the bundle has references to
symbols expected to be defined in the pro-
        gram loading the bundle, then the -bundle_loader executable must
be used.

        -bundle_loader executable
               This  specifies the executable that will be loading the
bundle output file being linked.  Unde-
               fined symbols from the bundle are checked against the
specified executable like it was  one  of
               the  dynamic  libraries  the  bundle  was  linked  with.
  If  the  bundle  being  created with
               -twolevel_namespace in effect then the searching of the
executable for symbols is based on  the
               placement  of  the  -bundle_loader  flag  relative to the
dynamic libraries.  If the the bundle
               being created with -flat_namespace then the searching of
the  executable  is  done  before  all
               dynamic libraries.