[PD-dev] Please don't redefine CC and CXX

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 18 14:24:16 CET 2003

hi Frank, hi list,

On 18 February 2003 at 11:57:21, Frank Barknecht wrote:
 [snip]
 > So here's my call to you developers:
 >
 > 1.) Please don't redefine CC and CXX! There's absolutely no need to.
 > 2.) Please don't use non-standard variables like $(CPLUSPLUS)!
 >
 > It makes building the externals muchmuch easier.
 >
 > Thank you for your attentention.

I sometimes use alternate compilers in my projects (not yet
for pd)... would it be acceptable to do something like:

  CXX ?= g++-3.2

... that ought to let environment variables through, but
still allow single-external builds without messing with
the environment or 'configure' arguments...

marmosets,
	Bryan