[PD-dev] Re: [GEM] pix_blur ???? which Gem-objects do we need (have) ?

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Fri Feb 21 20:58:31 CET 2003

>	Actually I don't find it arrogant at all. I currently just use PD
>from the audio side of things, but at my day job I'm a lead artist at a
>video game company, and you have actually hit on one of my biggest gripes
>about Photoshop, and the whole dumbing down of a product for the sake of
>readability/usability.

We are, thankfully, not programming Photoshop, and if anything GEM
needs some 'smartening up'.  Also, all of my comments, suggestions
and actions on this subject  have come directly from user requests.
I would like to imagine that larger developers like Adobe are also
basing the shape of their product on the needs of their users (but i
really doubt this most of the time).

>	Photoshop (since version 3) introduced the idea of blend modes for
>its layers. Yet for some insane reason they decided to go against the most
>common naming schemes for these modes. So instead of 'Adding' one layer (CS
>+ CD) I need to figure out if I should use 'screen' or 'overlay' or some
>other oddly named thing from their list (its screen by the way :). This has
>led to all types of confusion for artists, who started out as your 'dumb
>user' but over the years have moved into the power user category. So now
>They look at the various blend operations available to them on modern cards
>and have to run through them all testing each to see what its 'Photoshop'
>equivalent is.

Although your comments are probably better directed at Adobe, you
might wish to know that the blend modes in Photoshop are based on the
Apple QuickDraw CopyModes available to the CopyBits() routine.  This
is why you find similar functions in other applications like
Macromedia Director as well.

>	In many cases Photoshop's approach is easier (multiply is easier, I
>guess, to understand than CS*CD) in the short term, aimed at people who are
>just looking to add text to their digital images. But in the long term
>'dumbing' things down can hurt the long term user who wishes to expand their
>knowledge.

This whole 'dumb' vs 'power' user terminology has to stop, as it
perpetuates a foolish and also counter-productive stereotype.  When
we use these polarizing terms, this mindset, often found at
developers like Adobe, Quark and Digidesign, starts to take hold and
eventually the developers end up with nothing but total contempt for
their users, and the user's reciprocate the feeling.  GEM is,
hopefully, based on an idea of openness, which should lead to greater
interaction between users and developers in order to mold the project
into something that is useful and worthwhile to a community.  There
is no reason to limit the access to GEM to those that are of certain
elite level (if not an elitist attitude as well), and I cannot see
any way that this helps artists nor the community, apart from
lightening the load for certain developers.  Also, it should be
pointed out that the user/developer distinction breaks down in an
environment where anyone is free to create the tools they need.
Building up these false divisions will only hurt the learning process
in the end.

cgc