[PD-dev] [wavinfo] on Darwin broken?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 24 19:18:20 CET 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> So it seems that [wavinfo] from ext13 is broken on Darwin/MacOS X,
> which sucks for me since its a key part of a project I am working on
> and I just bought a new PowerBook.  When I run the help patch, and open
> a file with
> 116736 samples 	1 channel 	16-bit 	44100 rate
> [wavinfo] says:
> 72.0059 samples 	256 channels	4096-bit 1.15212e+09 rate
> Does it work for anyone else?  I am going to take a look at it when I
> get a chance, but I just thought I'd run it by the list to see if
> anyone has any ideas.

This is a byte order problem.

1.15212e+09 is 1152120000 which is probably 1152122880 rounded, which is
hex "44 ac 00 00"

44100 is hex "00 00 ac 44"

this is because the program assumes that the CPU reads a 4-byte number
like a pentium would, but a powerpc is the other way around.

channels and bits fit that pattern, but the number of samples looks
weirder though it's probably just a less-obvious manifestation of the same
problem.