[PD-dev] [GEM] GEM CVS... x-platform issues

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Fri Feb 28 09:44:11 CET 2003

>Hi GEM developers,
>
>I've recently (finally!) worked to make the CVS version of GEM actually
>build and run under Windows.   There's lots of exciting new stuff in there
>which is good to see.  The real-time graph updating is certainly an
>improvement.

great.  can you post a windows build somewhere?  i'd like to check it out.

>Tweaking GEM to build was not a particularly difficult experience but there
>are a few little issues that may bite (mainly caused by deficiencies in
>Windows and VC++ I might add).  For the time being, I'll keep fiddling with
>others' source changes in such a way to make them build under Windows
>without breaking them on other platforms.  Apologies in advance if I do,
>however, wreak havoc.  Here are a couple of the issues if you want to try to
>avoid them...

i compiled with all of the changes so far and it works ok on OSX.

>1) Problem: 'for' scoping for VC++ 6.0 isn't compatible with the "new ISO"
>style scoping that GCC seems to support/default to.
>
>E.g.
>for (int i=0; i < i_max; i++)
>     func(i);
>for (int I=0; i < i_MAX; i++)    // causes VC++ redefinition error
>     func2(i);

couldn't find any of these changes to the CVS.  can you point one out to me?

>Short-term Solution: I just removed any variable redefinitions that caused
>compiler errors under VC++.  This may now result in warnings on other
>platforms.  This is undesirable and I don't want to suggest that the code
>should conform to VC++ non-conformance...
>
>Long-term Solution: We probably should code to avoid both the VC++ error and
>the GCC warning.

which gcc warning?

>2) Problem: Windows needs to have <windows.h> explicitly included before
>many of the "platform independent" GL headers (e.g. gl.h, glu.h etc).
>
>Short-term Solution: I added the #ifdef _WINDOWS etc. inclusion of windows.h
>wherever it's need... including the "I hate windows, I shouldn't have to do
>this".  Whose immortal words are those, anyway?!

seems ok, since there are already a few of those #ifdefs littered
throughout GEM.  i have no idea who wrote the 'i hate windows' bit,
Mark Danks??

cgc