[PD-dev] file releases on sourceforge

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 28 19:52:44 CET 2003

On Friday, Feb 28, 2003, at 13:36 America/New_York, guenter geiger
wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> I don't have any objections. I'd like it. Did you check out the SF
>>> build-farm? Maybe we could automate some binary building...
>>>

>> To start, I'll just put up some existing binaries, just to get the
>> ball
>> rolling.  But the build-farm is definitely a good idea, but I don't
>> have the time just yet to look too deeply into it.
>>
>> But first, one of the pure-data.sf.net needs to grant me access to the
>> Add/Edit Releases section so I can start doing this.
>
> Ok, you have been nominated release manager. (Hope this helps you in
> making the release).
>
> What do you mean with existing binaries ?
> I think we should recompile the stuff from CVS, otherwise we get only
> confusion. (I know .... nobody has the time).

By existing binaries, I mean things like Adam's MacOS X packages.  I
thought I'd try to see if there are any recent RPMs available.  I could
also post the DeMuDi DEBs.  Plus I thought I'd clean up and zip up my
windows install and write an install.bat for it.  (anyway have a
pd-extended binary for Windows?)

At my university (http://itp.nyu.edu), there is a lot of interest in
using pd, but many of them barely know what the word 'compile' means.
So I am hosting a pd meeting to get everyone up to installed and
running, and to start playing with it.  In the process, I realized I
couldn't say "Go to this URL, and you can download pd".  I had to list
all of the various places for the various OSes that people are running,
and all of the different packages.

So its not a solution, its just a start.  I figure a working but not so
pretty package is better than none at all.  Adam's packages have
received a very good reception at ITP.  I'd like to help out the
Windows end of things too, since there is demand.