[PD-dev] Re: [PD] windows binaries / cvs

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Mar 6 10:39:52 CET 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Daniel Heckenberg wrote:
> I've just worked through many of the externals and gotten most to build...
> some of the others are going to be a bit challenging to get going under
> windows.
>
> A couple of questions:
> 1) why are there c files in the externals/build/win directory but not in the
> the other externals/build/platform directory?

Hmm, which one did you use at the end ?
Well, first the reasoning:

The c files in the externals/build/win are links, and not real files.
(This means sort of C-links).

The idea was to have these links for all platforms, to allow
to select if a external gets compiled for the platform or not.

Later I decided to put these into externals/build/src and just
allow externals that are cross platform.

I hope you used the ones in externals/build/src ..

> 2) many externals seem to have setup functions that don't match their
> filenames... particularly the ext13 tilde externals. (e.g. send13~) why is
> this?  how does PD correctly load the setup function?

This should be changed in the externals. For the time being I have
wrapped this (see externals/build/src/send13~.c)

> > I think for the future we should come up with some guidelines how
> > to write externals, so that they fit into this framework.
>
> Yup.  I'll post a list of things I've had to fix in externals to get them to
> build with the hope that people can write new code with these things in
> mind.

Yes, good, we have to put  thes things on the web page too ...

> > Another goal is to do quality control on the externals, and just include
> > those that meet the requirements of beeing reasonable bugfree.
>
> Yes... how do we do this?  Stable and unstable release?

yes, this sounds reasonable.
I was about to say that we just release stable, but then we do not get
feedback ...

> > Great that you are doing this work, Daniel. I am happy if we have
> > and nmake system for now, finally I would prefer mingw if this is
> > doable.
>
> I'll have a look into mingw when I've finished on the nmake front.
>
> Has anyone managed to compile PD itself with mingw?

Yes, I have compiled it, but it does not run :(
No time to go on with that currently...

Guenter