[PD-dev] recent CVS commits for win32 compilability

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 10 17:12:23 CET 2003

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Daniel Heckenberg wrote:

> [array declarations]
> A number of the objects in the cxc collection declare automatic array
> variables with sizes that are non-constant.  I'm not sure of the ANSI
> correctness of this, but Visual c++ sure doesn't like it.

If it is ANSI then it is very recent ANSI (like, '99) and maybe it's not
even ANSI at all. In any case, many compilers still in use won't like it.
I mean, there was this other thing about VC++6 not understanding for-local
variables; that feature is part of ANSI C++ '95 and GCC supported it back
in '97...

Anyway... as far as I know, stack-allocated variable-length arrays are a
GCC extension, and if it even became ANSI, it happened too recently to be
something you can rely on in other compilers.