[PD-dev] Docs for Flext::Timer (fltimer.cpp)?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Apr 16 20:19:51 CEST 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, guenter geiger wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Thomas Grill wrote:
> > > Hi Hans-Christoph,

> > > what about the flext tutorial example timer1?
> > > I'm sure it doesn't exploit all features of flext timers but serve you well
> > > as a starting point....
> >
> > I think it would be better to hook it up on the select system with
> > sys_addpollfn ... but for testing it might be ok to use a timer.
>
> sys_addpollfn is defined in m_imp.h, which I was under the impression was
> only for internal use.  I thought that m_pd.h was everything that was
> supposed to be used by externals.

Yes and no. To write something like a asynchronous receiver you have two
possibilities, either polling (with timer) or hooking up into the
sys_addpollfn (which will wake you up when there is data available).
You get away with a timer too, its just not optimal in terms
of "resource usage", but this concern might be only theoretical ....
so, hm, maybe its better to use a timer anyhow ... :)

Greetings,

Guenter