[PD-dev] Synchronizing Branches

Michael McGonagle fndsnd at rcnchicago.com
Tue Apr 29 01:35:16 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I have written some code that sends messages to various branches of
other processing code. Two of these branches rely on each other, and I
also need to make sure that one branch has completely executed prior to
the other passing beyond a certain point.

Basically what I have done is to stick a 'delay 0' object in the
"dependant" branch. Am I correct in that using this forces this branch
to "postpone" itself, allowing the other branch to complete its code?
This has been working for me, as I had hoped, but I was wondering if
there is a better way to handle this.

I can see one problem with this if there is a dependancy of several
branches. Short of having the code branches merge, is there some other
way to achieve this? Are there such things as state flags or "semifores"
in pd? (ie don't continue until "my-state" is true).

I have included an example of what I have done.

Thanks,

Mike