[PD-dev] moving GEM's non-graphic objects to pure-data.sf.net CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 29 06:29:34 CEST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, IOhannes zmoelnig wrote:

> Ben Bogart wrote:
> > This makes a lot of sense to me in the long run.
> >
> > Mark, why was markEx merged into Gem originally?
> (being not Mark, but i think:) because it was easier: some of the
> example-patches depend on markEX, and it would have been very
> complicated if you had to get another library.
> But of course:
> markEX is not really Gem, and it certainly makes sense to put it into
> some separated space (like the CVS, although i don't think, lot's of
> people will continue development for markEX (?))
> But then: should i remove markEX from Gem ? (again the problem with the
> help-patches)

There would be a small amount of pain in the move, but I think that the
CVS externals collection isn't really a lib anymore, but a standard part
of a distro, especially since it now compiles on Linux, MacOS X and
Windows.  Its also already package-ized for Linux and MacOS X, and Windows
shouldn't be too hard to do.

I have a dream of all external objects without lib deps in one easy to
install package on all platforms.  We are well on the way to this being a
reality.

.hc

	zen
	   \