[PD-dev] [GEM] update

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun May 11 18:48:40 CEST 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, chris clepper wrote:

> i don't think that this means a type of system that requires the user
> to explicitly manage the data and do all the housekeeping like
> creating buffers, type and bounds checking, etc (a la jitter).

Well, Jitter does it the GridFlow way, which is already pretty abstracted
out from low-level considerations. The most difficult part is actually
mapping the dimensions and indices of one data structure to another in a
_meaningful_ way (or at least an interesting way). The most lowlevel is
direct redimensioning, but actually there are much more sophisticated
transforms than mere reinterpretation of data.

In any case, a type conversion is not more that just saying that you want
a type conversion to happen ([@cast uint8]), and a redim is not more than
saying you want it to happen ([@redim {240 320 3}]), and all objects do
check bounds automatically. So I'm not sure what kind of "housekeeping
like creating buffers, type and bounds checking, etc" that you are talking
about.

> instead a series of bridge objects can be constructed either in code
> or by abstraction to translate and guide the data around. [...] just
> wanted to bounce the idea off the others devs to get some input.

could you please elaborate on this?