[PD-dev] [GEM] update

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Sun May 11 23:45:07 CEST 2003

>  > quality.  this also frees up pix_blur so it can be changed to an
>>  abstraction based on pix_convolve.
>which reminds me, we have to make ánd abstraction-folder.

how do you want to include this in the GEM distribution?  the
abstractions have to be in the search path, so do we just write a
script to copy them into the extra folder or maybe alias them?

>  > in pix_texture use GemMan::texture_rectangle_supported which works
>>  fine on OSX but i'm not sure how that would affect the other
>>  platforms.  let me know if this looks ok for linux/windows, i don't
>>  want to break a critical object on another platform.
>works great. (but of course, the underlying check for rectangle-support has to
>be adapted to meet (say) nvidia's extensions)

ok, i will commit my changes, and hopefully it will work on linux.

>  >
>>  - i have pix_filmNEW playing in auto mode right now, but i have to
>great (thanks a lot!)
>>  agree with jamie's assessment that the new system really does nothing
>>  at all for OSX.
>which might be true. however is there no chance that there might be other
>decoder-libs under mac some day ?

i can't say that there won't be, but quicktime covers a whole lot
it's easily extend by adding codec components.  for a 'basic' film
player it has everything covered.

>  > it may solve some problems on linux, but it seems to
>it does ;-)
>>  actually have many of the same cross-platform issues; i've had to
>>  ifdef some stuff in order to get it to even compile.  also, i don't
>>  think the structure is very clean or transparent since the various
>>  libs and APIs need to be taken care by platform. so doesn't it make
>>  more sense to have each platform manage the libs/APIs internally
>>  rather than do it in pix_filmNEW??
>actually that was the idea.
>maybe it is just really bad "design" what i have done.
>i (hope that i) am free for any suggestions. (but of course don't
>want to break
>your work again)

maybe i'm just resisting the new system because jamie and i did a lot
of work to get the qt playback working well in the old system and now
it requires a rewrite for the new one.   i don't really understand
why pix_filmNEW has to handle all of the libs and APIs for every
platform.   can there be a way to have a class that handles all of
the libs needed for a platform and then use pix_filmNEW as the public
class?  i guess this is more like the 'old way' with
pix_filmLinux/Darwin/NT, but with the individual libs exposed like in
the new system.  is it possible to really reuse the various libs on
other platforms?  libmpeg doesn't work on OSX just like the Mac
quicktime doesn't work in linux.  maybe ffmpeg is a possibility to
use cross platform, but i haven't looked into it.

also, i forsee some problems with pix_videoNEW as well, but more on
that after i start on it...

>  > - adding some sort of alpha info to the particle system for blending.
>i thought the new libparticle already had alpha-support (the colors are now
>rgba instead of rgb)
>so this might be solved already.

oh ok.  i have version 111 in my local, but the CVS one is 120.  i'll
update and check it out.

cgc