[GEM] update && Re: [PD-dev] [GEM] update

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu May 15 01:36:44 CEST 2003

Hi all,

From: <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> so one solution would be to check for the extension *and* #ifdef all the
> rectangle-code in pix_texture.
> the other one (which is easier to add later and easier to read anytime
(because
> #ifdef's are not really code-reader-friendly) is to check only for a
certain
> extension if the feature is supported at compilation time.
> that's why i have #ifdef'ed some parts in GemMan.cpp

It would be good if we can move towards more run-time checks and remove as
many #ifdefs as possible... if we include an up-to-date version of SGI's
glext.h with GEM does that mean we can rely on having all the openGL symbols
available on all platforms?
I gather that this file:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/glext.h
should have all vendors' extensions in there.

Obviously this means you actually have to do full runtime checks for all
extensions and not just use the presence of the symbol as an indication that
the extension is supported.

daniel