[PD-dev] Re: [PD] fluid~, shabby~, shaffy~ segfaults

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue May 27 01:35:43 CEST 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I guess, that maybe my main card, the M-Audio Audiophile is creating
> this error. It is a stereo card, but the chipset (ICE1712) has 10 in-
> and 12 out-channels. The line numbers above refer to pa_linux_alsa.c
> where it fails at line 429, which says:
>
>     /* ... set the number of channels */
>     ENSURE( snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels( stream, hw_params, channels ) );
>
> The three alsa-enabled pa_test programs do work, for example
> patest_sine, even when compiled with Pd's pabilo changes.
>
> Maybe this rings a bell with someone?

Yes, all bells. I see myself spending evenings on trying to figure
out what is happening with our beloved advanced sound architecture.

To be honest, I do not know how to proceed. One thing would be to
fix portaudio, the other to incorporate ALSA and JACK from 0.36.

The cleaner solution would be to help to fix portaudio, but this
would mean to learn the internals of the system.
I do not have too much time for doing that at the moment, so it might
take some weeks/months until I can even think of starting it.

Anyone who wants to step ahead is very welcome...

Guenter