[PD-dev] External Manager - Load my Externals

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Sun Jun 1 19:52:18 CEST 2003

Ben, this project is a HUGE deal for lowering the entrance bar for new
PD users to users, thanks.

bbogart at ryerson.ca wrote:

>I entirely disagree,
>
>#1 its in the menu of PD:
>
>One starts PD, then changes the settings, if s/he wants to use the new setting (if s/he does not want to, why is s/he changing them?) so s/he quits PD and starts it again.

it should be possible to have a preferences menu automatically restart
pd for you in the situatoins when that is strictly nessesary, sort of
how mozilla used to deal with "dynamic" theme switches or how it
currently deals with switching user profiles on the fly.  for instance,
you wouldnt need to restart to just add libraries and paths, but
removing them or changing the audio hardware preferences would cause a
restart.  maybe in the future pd would allow you to do both of these
dynamically, and you could remobe the restart function and keep the user
experience/interface the same.

i think having your project behave as an integrated pref's panel within
the program is a more consistant and expected idea for the user.  most
newbies will unzip pd, and instinctively run the pd.exe or what-have-you
and look for a pref's meny rather that looking for a separate
configurator application.

i'm planning on really learning tcl/tk in the next few months, so i
might be able to help out a little, no promises though :)

thanks for taking this on!!

-josh

independent u.s. drum'n'bass -- http://vitriolix.com