[PD-dev] External Manager - Load my Externals

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jun 2 11:05:05 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 01 June 2003 04:49, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > > But maybe we're talking about different things. An external LME can> only
> >
> > Yes! We should have an LME!
> >
> > What  the #$^& are you talking about???
>
> Read the #$^?&§$ subject! ;)

:)

Ok, some (critical) thoughts:

* Preferences: again, a launcher is a bad idea IMO, it should be a
  preference dialog.
  Don't think about software being written once and then its done.
  If you have the launcher, you will want to have preferences sooner
  or later, ...

* External loader comes from the concept of having libraries. I have
  mentioned several times that this is not a good way how to
  write externals, because it merely adds complexity in the
  build processes and uses up more RAM.

  We should get rid of the concept of libraries. (Hide the "external
  loader" in a "advanced" tab if you like, but don't write a program
  that is an "external loader" above all).

* Different configurations: I think this is a very good concept and
  should be easy to add by using different names for pd config files.

Last but not least, Miller is already thinking about preferences,
expecially for audio settings, and changing them on the fly is not
too far away ...

Guenter