[PD-dev] External Manager - Load my Externals

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Jun 3 15:08:07 CEST 2003

hi Guenter, Frank,

no doubt, the central repository for externals is great idea.

No doubt, loading externals on demand is better than using -lib
option.  Any cyclone object may be loaded on demand, except for
operators (talking about linux build, which is what I use).

Not sure, though, what is your expected target installation -- do
you expect everybody would have all externs from cvs installed?
This is going to be huge...

If not, how would one make the selection?

guenter geiger wrote:
 > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
 >>Another advantage of single over libraries of externals is that name
 >>conflicts are easier to spot.

but are not they harder to resolve that way?

 >>The build-system, Guenther installed, is actually rather simple for
 >>single externals. Just put a file into "build", that C-include's the
 >>real file.

do you mean one should simply #include all the shared code?
or maybe one should not use shared code at all?

Krzysztof