[PD-dev] External Manager - Load my Externals

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 3 16:14:14 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Krzysztof Czaja hat gesagt: // Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> no doubt, the central repository for externals is great idea.
>
> No doubt, loading externals on demand is better than using -lib
> option.  Any cyclone object may be loaded on demand, except for
> operators (talking about linux build, which is what I use).
>
> Not sure, though, what is your expected target installation -- do
> you expect everybody would have all externs from cvs installed?
> This is going to be huge...

Why not? I have almost all of the externals in my path, at least all
on the CVS plus iemlib,... I normally don't load Gem, but I would it
make any difference if it was in my path as single externals?

> guenter geiger wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >>Another advantage of single over libraries of externals is that name
> >>conflicts are easier to spot.
>
> but are not they harder to resolve that way?

If all externals are in one directory, it is solved automatically ;)

> >>The build-system, Guenther installed, is actually rather simple for
> >>single externals. Just put a file into "build", that C-include's the
> >>real file.
>
> do you mean one should simply #include all the shared code?
> or maybe one should not use shared code at all?

Just look into one file: You just include one external per file. For
example prepend.c in build/src looks like this:
// --- start ---
#include "../../somecollection/prepend.c"

ciao