[PD-dev] External Manager - Load my Externals

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Jun 4 00:11:24 CEST 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:
> hi Guenter, Frank,
>
> no doubt, the central repository for externals is great idea.
>
> No doubt, loading externals on demand is better than using -lib
> option.  Any cyclone object may be loaded on demand, except for
> operators (talking about linux build, which is what I use).
>
> Not sure, though, what is your expected target installation -- do
> you expect everybody would have all externs from cvs installed?
> This is going to be huge...

Yes, but considering that there are only useful externals there,
it makes sense to install them all (hard disk space is cheap, and
pd with externals is still small in comparison to other software)

> If not, how would one make the selection?
I was thinking that we could work on that together.

> guenter geiger wrote:
>  > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>  >>Another advantage of single over libraries of externals is that name
>  >>conflicts are easier to spot.
>
> but are not they harder to resolve that way?

no, they are not harder to resolve. They finally get resolved.

>  >>The build-system, Guenther installed, is actually rather simple for
>  >>single externals. Just put a file into "build", that C-include's the
>  >>real file.
>
> do you mean one should simply #include all the shared code?
> or maybe one should not use shared code at all?

No, the #include thing is they way how "links" are implemented in CVS.

Another topic is shared code. I think shared code could go into a dll.
A standard dll gets automatically loaded when the first external that uses
it gets loaded.

Greetings,

Guenter