[PD-dev] individual files vs. libs for externals

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Jun 8 16:21:19 CEST 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I am almost completely convinced of Guenter's argument that all
> externals should be individual files.  I have two questions on that
> topic:
>
> Are there any examples of a group of externals made up of individual
> files using a DLL for shared code?  Would the DLL be a .pd_linux or a
> .so (or .pd_darwin / .dylib)?

as frank said, with dll I meant dynamically linked library.

> Is there anyway to have aliases when using externals in separate files?
> (i.e. receive = r, prepend = pp, etc).

yes,

link the file to an alias eg. ln -s prepend.pd_xxx pp.pd_xxx
add a second setup function in prepend.c:
void pp_setup() { prepend_setup(); }

then you are done. The danger of doing this is that if you copy pp.pd_xxx
to some other place, be sure to move the prepend.pd_xxx too, otherwise
you will get a dangling link.

Guenter